გახსენით მობილურ აპლიკაციაში

New era, Ideas, People.

Daughter of an Ossetian Mother | Marina, Tskhinvali

Marina, 58, Tskhinvali

It all started for me with Adamon Nykhas meetings. I never missed it.

It was the source of my continuous troubles with my mother-in-law, she was Georgian. Even when I was going somewhere else, just to spite her,  I'm going to Nykhas, I would tell my husband so she could overhear. Nothing could've kept me home, I wanted to be at the center of the events. 

In January 1991, when Georgians entered the city, we moved in with our relatives by the railway. Usually, we lived close to the police station, but that neighborhood was already occupied by Georgians. My husband was at the headquarters all the time, I had not seen him for two months. My girls used to come to me often. Sometimes we even entered the military unit, where the Soviet army was stationed. We befriended the wives of the soldiers. We brought them wine and house vodka, they gave us bullets for our boys.

The mother-in-law of one of the girls, Nina, stayed back in Dmenisi. It was already dangerous to be on those village roads, Georgians were controlling them, but we had to get the elderly out of there. Nina's husband got someone in the military unit to give him a car. Nina asked me to go with her since there was no way her husband could go, it was more dangerous for men. Anyway, on February 3 the driver, one officer, I think his name was Igor,  me, Nina and another soldier in the back, got into the “Ural” and left.  Nina and I had our pockets stuffed with bullets so we could hand them over to Dmenisi volunteers. We did not stop on the road even once, that's how we arrived. You should have seen how happy they were to see us. They were cut off like that for a whole month, not even a fly flew there.

They were packing up the mother-in-law while I was keeping warm by the furnace when Igor walked in. Look at the commotion, he said. We came out and saw that the back of the vehicle  was full of other people. The officer started yelling that we had come to pick up one woman only, and what are we supposed to do with all these people?! I was begging people to come down since the soldiers couldn’t assume the responsibility for all of them but they weren’t moving. Well, we’re all going to die here in any other case, they said. There were about forty of them, women, children, pregnant women, with bags, they even had a piglet. 

It was pitch black when we left. At the city entrance, the car hit something and right at that moment, we were encircled by Georgians, they were with dogs. Igor left to speak with them. Five of them started coming towards us. I locked the cabin door. They were banging on the window saying we had to open immediately. They took everyone out of the back of the car and placed them in some kind of wagon. The three of us sat in the cabin. Igor was nowhere to be seen. 

We looked over and from the side of Gori, BTRs were coming. Then they told us some Shalamberidze has come down, he was some kind of boss. We stayed like that for over an hour. We heard Georgians tell Igor to take these people and go, but they weren’t going to let these people go back up in the vehicle. Igor didn’t do anything. Two hours had gone past. Then all of a sudden, Igor came up in the cabin and said, let’s go. What do you mean go? We can’t leave these people here, I said. They are coming, he said. I looked back, and I saw that some were hanging their hands on their head, some were hobbling. I thought to myself they were probably beaten. I even heard the squealing of the piglet, Igor didn’t even leave him behind. 

In a few days, Nina and her husband made a Supra spread, that’s what they do where we are from, they celebrate when they have avoided a great danger. They invited Igor and the driver to thank them. I can’t even remember their last names, or I would thank them again here now. 

On June 13th of 1992, my brother-in-law died. He was in the volunteer groups. Before that, he served in the army, he was an expert in portable transmitters, he had his own kind of setup too. That’s why he used to sit with a walkie-talkie in his hand to overhear conversations and then report the information. He knew Georgian well, his mother was Georgian. That day his batteries died, there were great battles raging and listening in was of the most importance. The brothers were in the same unit. Go bring back batteries and be back here in 10 minutes, my husband had said to him. Gocha, my brother-in-law, had left. The neighbor even saw him leave, called out to him how he was, but Gocha didn’t stop. He only waved his hands to me, he was rushing, they said. When he took a turn by the house, most likely the shell was already in the air. He was running so fast, he probably didn’t even hear the sound. It exploded right next to him, eight steps to the house.

We buried him the next day. A hail of bullets was raining down on us. Only the boys from his unit attended the funeral, they brought rice and beans. You couldn't even bury him normally during those times. At 11 o'clock in the morning, when it calmed down a bit, the boys lifted the coffin, ran to the edge of the garden, and buried him there. He spent 40 days in the garden. My mother-in-law would go to the grave every day and cry. She cursed Georgians, she was a Georgian herself. Neighbors heard her bawling and cursing every morning. She was never the same but lived for a long time. She also witnessed the 2008 war, sat with us in the basement.

When peacekeepers came in, Gocha was moved to the cemetery, and we had a funeral service for 100 people. We had to go through a second tragedy by digging him out and reburying him. 

My husband can’t forgive himself to this day. He died because of me, he says. 

He was 23 years old. He was supposed to get married that summer. They had brought everything for the bride. My husband brought everything to her. Poor girl, she attended his grave every year and brought him a big bouquet of flowers. She was also a Georgian, daughter of an Ossetian. 


From the Series, “Recalling Memories - South Ossetia 1991/2008”
Text: Zarina Sanakoeva

Дочка Осетинки
Марина, 58, Цхинвали

Для меня все началось с собраний «Адамон Ныхас», куда мы всегда ходили и не пропускали никаких мероприятий. У меня всегда были неприятности со свекровью из-за этого, она была грузинка. Я тоже на нее злилась, и назло, даже если шла не на собрание, говорила мужу: «Я пошла в «Ныхас», чтобы она меня слышала. Мне не сиделось дома, всегда хотелось быть в центре событий.

В январе 1991 года, когда в город вошли грузины, мы перебрались к родственникам в районе вокзала, потому что сами мы жили возле милиции, и этот район оказался занят грузинами. А мой муж бывал в штабе, я его месяца два не видела. У меня были подруги, небольшая компания. Мы часто ходили к воинской части, здесь еще были советские войска. Мы завели знакомства с женами военных, общались с ними. Потом уже приносили то вино, то водку домашнюю, а они нам давали пули. Ну а мы отдавали уже это нашим парням.

У одной из наших подруг старая свекровь осталась в селе Дменис, дороги уже были опасны, так как туда нужно было ехать через грузинские села и территории, занятые грузинами. Но старушку нужно было привезти. Ее муж в воинской части договорился кое-как, чтобы они на своей машине поехали и забрали его мать. Нина, моя подруга, попросила меня поехать с ней. Ее муж не ехал, это было опасно для мужчин. И вот мы сели в «Урал», было 3 февраля. Там был водитель, один офицер, по-моему, его Игорь звали, мы с Ниной, и в кузове был один солдат с автоматом. А у нас с Ниной карманы были полны пуль, мы должны были передать их Дменисским ополченцам. Ехали без остановок. Это нужно было видеть, как люди радовались нас видеть. Ведь весь месяц в ту сторону даже муха не залетала. 

Пока собирали свекровь Нины, я грелась у печки. Заходит Игорь и говорит: «посмотрите, что там происходит?». Я вышла к машине, и вижу, что весь кузов Урала полон людей, под завязку. Офицер стал ругаться, ведь мы приехали за одной старушкой, а вот весь кузов полон людей. Я тоже просила этих людей выйти, потому что военные не хотели брать ответственность за них. Но ни один из них не вышел из кузова: „Что ж, тогда пусть мы умрем здесь“ - говорили. Набралось человек 40, дети, беременные женщины, многие со всеми своими пожитками, был даже поросенок. 

И вот мы едем обратно, уже стемнело. Совсем недалеко от въезда в город наша машина вдруг во что-то врезалась. Те территории тогда были заняты грузинами, нас сразу окружили люди с собаками. Этот Игорь вышел к ним. Еще где-то пятеро человек пошли в нашу сторону. Мы закрыли двери в кабинке и они стали бить прикладом в стекло, чтобы мы открыли. Из кузова всех людей выгнали, их повели в какой-то вагончик неподалеку. Мы сидим втроем в кабинке, Игоря тоже нет. Вдруг мы видим, что со стороны Гори едет БТР. Потом нам сказали, что оттуда приехал какой-то Шаламберидзе, какой-то начальник. Прошло больше часа, моментами я слышала, что грузины говорят Игорю, чтобы он забирал нас, и уезжал, а людей, которые сидели в кузове, не отпустят. Но он не согласился. Так прошло почти два часа, и тут прибежал Игорь, сел в кабинку и говорит: «Поехали». Я говорю, как поехали, а люди? Он ответил: «Загружаются». Я выглянула и вижу, что люди идут вереницей к машине. Кто за голову держался, кто хромал. Наверно, их там били. Я даже услышала визг поросенка, Игорь даже поросенка не оставил. 

Через пару дней Нина с мужем накрыли большой стол, так принято, когда у нас избегают большой беды. Позвали и Игоря и водителя Мишу, чтобы поблагодарить их. Я даже их фамилий не знаю, хотелось бы и сегодня им спасибо сказать.

13-го июня 1992 погиб брат моего мужа. Он был в одной из групп ополчения. До этого он служил в армии и хорошо разбирался в рациях, и у него самого было оборудование. Поэтому, он сидел на рации, ловил переговоры грузин и переводил. Он хорошо знал грузинский, у него ведь мать грузинка была. В тот день села батарейка, а шли важные бои, нельзя было прерывать прослушку. Они с моим мужем были в одном отряде. И вот мой муж сказал ему, чтобы он побежал домой за батарейками, и чтобы через 10 минут был здесь. Гоча, так звали моего деверя, побежал домой. Его еще увидел наш сосед, окликнул его, хотел спросить, как дела, но Гоча не остановился, только махнул рукой, что очень торопится. Когда он завернул к дому, мина, видимо, была уже в воздухе. Но Гоча, наверное, не услышал ее, быстро бежал. Мина разорвалась возле него, в восемь шагов от дома. Мы его хоронили на второй же день, были сильные обстрелы. К нам пришли только парни из его отряда, принесли мне немного риса, фасоли. Было такое время, что нормальных похорон нельзя было сделать. В 11 утра часов обстрел немного прекратился, парни взяли гроб и перебежками донесли до края сада, и там и похоронили. До 40 дней он был похоронен в саду. Моя свекровь 40 дней она каждое утро шла к могиле и кричала до изнеможения. Проклинала грузин, хотя она сама грузинка. Все соседи каждое утро слышали ее рыдания и проклятия. Она так и не оправилась после смерти сына, но прожила еще долго. Ей пришлось увидеть и войну 2008 года, сидела с нами в подвале.

А потом, когда вошли миротворцы, мы Гочу перезахоронили на кладбище, сделали поминки человек на сто. Вторая трагедия была когда мы его достали и снова хоронили.

Мой муж до сих пор не может себе этого простить. Он уверен, что из-за него брат погиб.

Гоче было 23 года, и тем летом он должен был жениться. Для невесты уже все было куплено, золото, подарки. Потом мой муж все это ей отдал. Бедная девочка, на каждый поминальный день приходила со своим большим букетом. Всегда. Она тоже грузинка была, дочка осетинки.


Из цикла «Живая память - Южная Осетия 1991/2008»
Текст: Зарина Санакоева

With your help we will be able to create even more high quality material Subscribe