გახსენით მობილურ აპლიკაციაში

New era, Ideas, People.

The second fire | Manana Khachapuridze, Tskhinval [ENG/RUS]

Смотрите текст на русском языке ниже

Manana Khachapuridze, 60 years old, Tskhinval
[1991-1992 and the 2008 Wars]

The war started on November 23, 1989, for us. They wanted to hold a rally here. So many people came down to the villages including many from Svaneti. I was in Kurta then. They came in red Ikaruses with dark burgundy flags with black and white stripes in the corner. They drove up and down the road. They lived where the club used to be near our house. They also had headquarters there. When they walked around in police uniforms, I felt a bit more at ease. If they are policemen, they will not harm us, I thought. They were no policemen,  they turned out to be irregulars! Ossetians lived around us, the Tedeevs. The well was in our house and these irregulars were fetching water from us. It soon became clear that they were ex-prisoners.

I was visiting my parents in Kurta with the kids, but we lived in Tskhinval. My nephews were there too.  The children were so terrified of these irregulars. What shall we tell them if they ask us our last name? My daughter asked once. We were scared because the situation was becoming more and more strained. Georgians no longer invited us to christenings and weddings. Until that point, we had lived in peace. Then they constantly called us Alan Chochiev (because Alan Chochiev was the leader of Adamon Nykhas {Popular Shrine}).

Whenever they would take cargo on trucks, they would stop them, detain the Ossetians and take their goods. I saw myself how they bit one. They dragged him by his two hands to the headquarters across the street. I still don't know what they did to him, who was he anyway. My father said there were others, too.

My brother-in-law came to take his children away from Tskhinval. My sister didn’t want to let him go, she said it was dangerous, but my brother-in-law told her: who would lay a finger on him, everyone knew him! He was walking on foot and saw his acquaintance in Tamarasheni and greeted them. Tamaz spoke Georgian very well, he lived in Tbilisi before then. Then they greeted him back and said nothing else. Tamaz was accompanied by another Ossetian, he also had some business there. Right when they approached Achabeti, some strangers stepped out on the road, they didn’t look like locals. 

They arrested both, threw them in the car and took them to the headquarters in Kekhvi. They were severely beaten. Tamaz had his teeth knocked out by the butt of an automatic.  Then he told us that he didn't see any familiar face there. The power went out at night, and so he took advantage of the moment to escape. He followed the irrigation channel, which was parallel to the road. They chased him but he dived in the water and hid. He followed the channel all the way to Tskhinval. I came to you too, he said. But he was scared to come in, there was the headquarters of the irregulars in front of our house. I didn't want to be noticed, not to bring trouble to any of you. I followed the irrigation channel back again and made it to Tskhinval like that, he said. Tamaz was hospitalized for a long time.

I arrived in Tskhinval late, I took my children and nephews. They burned down my parents' house later. My father was Georgian, my mother was Ossetian, and we were called Ossetians in the village. My sister and I went to school in Tskhinval while Mother and Father stayed in the village more often. We had one tiny hut, but Parents preferred it there. All the livestock were driven off, pigs, cows, everything. Then an international organization built a small house, and they lived there. My father went blind, mother begged him to leave, but she failed to get him to agree.

In 2008, our house was burned down a second time - this time by Ossetians. I had my birthday on the 7th of August, and I had left for Vladikavkaz with my little daughter. At night war broke out. We didn’t know where my parents were for days. Then soldiers brought them to Vladikavkaz. They stayed and lived with my child until father died. Father didn’t know that the house was burned down a second time. We didn’t tell him. Mother died a few years later. 

Now there is nothing where once our house stood. We lived by the church, every year we used to celebrate Saint’s day. A few years back, my sister’s family made a sacrifice for the church, slaughtered a lamb. When we were there, my sister told me I don’t even remember where our house used to be. I remember it so well, I can show you exactly where it was, I said.  And all of a sudden I wanted to cry

From the series “Rebuilding Memories for future- South Ossetia 1991/2008” 
Photo: Vladimir Svartsevich / Anastasia Svartsevich from the archives

Второй пожар

Манана Хачапуридзе, 60 лет. Цхинвал
[Войны 1991–1992 и 2008 годов]

Война началась 23 ноября 1989 года. Здесь пытались митинг провести, а в наши села приехало очень много людей, они были из Сванетии. Я тогда жила в селе Курта. Они ездили на красных «Икарусах» с этими флагами, тёмно-бордовыми, с черной и белой полосой в углу. Они ездили вдоль по трассе туда-сюда. Прямо рядом с нашим домом был клуб, и они жили там. Там же был и штаб. Смотрим, они вроде в милицейской форме, и я как-то успокоилась. Раз уже это милиционеры, значит, ничего плохого они нам не сделают. Но, как выяснилось, это были никакие не милиционеры, а неформалы. Вокруг нас жили осетины, в основном, Тедеевы. У нас был колодец, и эти неформалы носили воду оттуда. Через некоторое время и стало ясно, что это бывшие заключенные.

Я была в Курта с детьми у родителей, а так уже жила в Цхинвале. Дети моей сестры тоже были там, с нами. Дети боялись неформалов, моя дочка спрашивала меня: «Что нам говорить, если нас спросят, как наша фамилия?». Вы спросите, почему мы боялись? Но уже до этого ситуация становилась все напряженной. Грузины перестали нас звать на поминки, свадьбы. До этого мы жили в мире. Они нас стали называть все «Аланами Чочиевыми». (Из-за Алана Чочиева, лидера Адамон Ныхас).

Часто ловили проезжающих на грузовиках осетин, отнимали грузы. Одного я своими глазами видела, избитого, его за обе руки волокли со стороны дороги в штаб. И сегодня я не знаю, что с ним стало, кто это был. Мой отец говорил, что бывали и другие.

За детьми моей сестры приехал их отец, из Цхинвала. Моя сестра не отпускала его, говорила, что уже опасно. Но он сказал: «Как это меня могут словить? Там же все меня знают». Он шел пешком, и рассказывал, что когда зашел в Тамарашени, увидел знакомых, поздоровался. Тамаз, так звали мужа сестры, хорошо знал по-грузински, он до этого сам жил в Тбилиси. Они тоже поздоровались, но ничего не сказали. К нему присоединился еще один осетин, он тоже по делам шел. А когда дошли до Ачабети, на дорогу вышли какие-то люди, не местные. Там же их словили, закинули в машину и отвезли в штаб в Кехви. Их там сильно избили. Тамазу выбили все зубы прикладом автомата. Он сетовал потом, что даже из знакомых там никого не было. В один момент погас свет, и он воспользовался этим и убежал. Он поднялся к оросительному каналу, он идет параллельно дороге, но выше. За ним гнались, но он нырнул в воду, чтобы его не увидели. Вдоль канала он пошел в сторону Цхинвала. Уже потом Тамаз рассказал, что пришел и к нам, но рядом ведь был штаб неформалов. Была уже ночь. Он побоялся зайти в дом, чтобы не навлечь неприятности на нас. Он снова поднялся к оросительному каналу и дошел до Цхинвала. Он долго еще в больнице лежал после этого.

Позже я приехала в Цхинвал, со своими детьми и детьми сестры. Тогда же сожгли дом моих родителей. Нас там, в селе, называли осетинами, хотя мой отец грузин, а мама осетинка. Мы с сестрой учились в школе в Цхинвале. Но мои родители не уехали все равно оттуда, у нас был сарай, и они жили там. Всю живность угнали, была корова, свиньи, все забрали. Потом международная организация построила им маленький дом, и они продолжали жить там. Мой отец ослеп, и моя мама уговаривала его уехать, но он не согласился.

В 2008 году наш дом снова сожгли, на этот раз, осетины. 7-го августа у меня день рождения, и я поехала во Владикавказ с младшей дочкой, а ночью началась война. Мы несколько дней не знали, где мои родители. Через несколько дней их привезли военные, к нам, во Владикавказ. Они там и остались, жили у моей дочери. Пока умер мой отец. Он так и не узнал, что его дом снова сожгли. Мы ему не сказали. Еще через пару лет умерла моя мать. Сейчас на месте нашего дома уже ничего нет. Мы жили недалеко от церкви, и каждый год отмечаем праздник этого святого. Несколько лет назад семья моей сестры делали жертвоприношение, барашка зарезали. Тогда мы там сидели, и сестра говорит мне, что совсем не помнит, не может понять, в каком месте был наш дом. А я очень хорошо помню, и сейчас точно место покажу. И мне вдруг захотелось плакать. 


Из цикла «Живая память - Южная Осетия 1991/2008»
Текст: Зарины Санакоева
Фото: Владимир Сварцевич / Анастасия Сварцевич из архива


With your help we will be able to create even more high quality material Subscribe